We all face life changes – some are presented by new stages of life – starting college, getting married, beginning a new job, having children, taking care of aging parents, experiencing “empty nest,” retiring. Other life changes result when we encounter a health problem, physical injury or trauma.
Whatever the source, life transitions can be difficult because they represent a change from the known to the unknown – a change that often makes us feel unsure, unsafe and less than confident. If life changes are negatively impacting your day to day life, a trained mental health provider can help you cope, adapt and strive in the midst of life transitions.
Researchers have extensively explored the characteristics that resilient people leverage in the face of change. At Endeavor Psychology, we help clients build resiliency and implement strategies to successfully navigate life transitions. We focus on working with clients to achieve and maintain mental and physical health, wellness and happiness.
What kind of life transitions can psychotherapy help me with?
Psychotherapy with a licensed clinical psychologist can be a critical tool to help you deal with a wide range of life changes and life transitions. These include:
- Life stage transitions – starting or graduating from college, getting married or starting a family, moving to a new location, dealing with divorce, caring for an aging parent
- Health transitions – implementing healthy lifestyle changes (changes to diet and exercise), dealing with a health issue or diagnosis, coping with disease and health treatments, becoming a caregiver for a loved one
- Career transitions – starting a new job, pursuing new opportunities at your current employer, changing careers, preparing for life after retirement
Regardless of the kind of change, transitions are often accompanied by stress, anxiety and feelings of loss. A skillful psychotherapist can help you understand and manage the thoughts and feelings resulting from life changes and implement strategies and supports to cope with and succeed in the face of change.
How can Endeavor Psychology help me deal with life transitions?
At Endeavor Psychology, therapy is tailored to the client’s specific needs and the life transitions they are facing. We use therapy approaches, including Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Interpersonal Therapy, to help clients, their partners and families:
- Understand the psychological, behavioral, interpersonal and environmental factors that may impact their ability to cope with and adapt to changes;
- Identify and address thoughts, beliefs and feelings about the life changes they face;
- Set goals and identify strategies to help clients enhance emotional and mental wellbeing;
- Disempower negative or disorganized thoughts that may cause feelings of helplessness;
- Develop strategies to manage and cope with transitions related to health issues, relationships, career changes, and others;
- Understand and cope with mental health issues (e.g., depression and anxiety) that may be triggered by life transitions.
If you or someone you care about is facing a life transition and would benefit from professional help, please contact us for a consultation.