For centuries, we have known about the intricate linkages between body and mind. For those of us dealing with health problems, particularly chronic conditions, our ability to cope, adapt and heal often hinge on the points of interconnection between our physical and mental health.
At Endeavor Psychology, we leverage tools from the disciplines of health psychology and behavioral medicine to help clients prevent, manage and treat a variety of chronic conditions – from heart disease, diabetes and hypertension to cancer and chronic pain. Our approach builds on a comprehensive understanding of individuals – and the way that their biology, life experiences, family history, social networks, and communities impact their psychological and physical health.
We work with clients who are dealing with their own health challenges as well as clients who are impacted by the health concerns of a partner, parent, child or other loved one. Within our practice, we use a number of research supported techniques to help our clients:
- Make healthy lifestyle changes (changes to diet, exercise, stress management) and pursue health goals (weight loss, stress management, smoking cessation)
- Deal with a new or chronic health problem
- Adjust to a medical diagnosis, treatment or prognosis
- Navigate pre- and post-surgical adjustment, including bariatric surgery assessment
- Manage health conditions (diabetes, cardiovascular disease) that require lifestyle and/or behavior changes
What specific chronic health diseases and conditions can psychotherapy help me manage?
At Endeavor Psychology, we leverage our extensive training in health psychology and behavioral medicine and a depth of experiences helping clients deal with and manage chronic health problems, including:
- Heart disease and cardiovascular disease
- Connective tissue disorders
- Cancer diagnoses
- Chronic Pain
- Cognitive decline
Additionally, we work extensively with clients on implementing healthy behaviors that can prevent chronic health issues and improve general health outcomes and quality of life. We help clients implement sustainable strategies to:
- Lose weight and maintain weight loss
- Increase physical activity
- Improve nutrition
- Reduce and manage stress
- Stop smoking
How can Endeavor Psychology help me address the health challenges that I am facing?
The Endeavor Psychology practice was founded by a clinical health psychologist – as such, we have a fundamental focus on helping people identify and address health goals and challenges. At Endeavor Psychology, we are trained to help clients address challenges related to improving health, coping with disease and improving treatment outcomes. We also address the way that clients’ mental and emotional health impacts and is impacted by health transitions. Our approach to therapy is empirically based (research-based), but tailored to our clients’ specific needs and the health challenges they are facing.
We use a number of therapy approaches, including Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Behavioral Medicine Interventions, and Interpersonal Therapy, to help clients, their partners and families:
- Understand the psychological, behavioral, interpersonal and environmental factors that may impact their ability to cope with and adapt to health challenges;
- Deal with the emotional weight of health transitions – which may include feelings of confusion, shock, worry and despair
- Set goals and identify strategies to help clients enhance physical, emotional and mental wellbeing
- Disempower negative or disorganized thoughts that may cause feelings of helplessness and potentially negatively impact health outcomes
- Develop strategies to manage and cope with transitions related to health issues, including the impacts that health transitions can have on relationships
- Understand and resolve mental health issues (e.g., depression, anxiety, mood disorders) that may precede, amplify or be triggered by health challenges
- Develop and leverage internal strengths and external support networks to build resiliency and cope with health concerns
- Work with medical providers to consult on psychotropic medication management and further assess issues, such as cognitive decline
If you or someone you care about is facing a health challenge and would benefit from professional help, please contact us for a consultation.